E-Commerce Websites: selling online
In today's tough economic climate, online retailing continues to buck the downward trend. In 2008, online spending substantially outperformed the overall increase in retail spending. By the end of this year, it is predicted to grow by a further 13.3%, whilst the overall retail market will shrink by £1.7bn.
These statistics make the ability to sell your products and services well online critical to the success of your business. As growth slows, business must work harder to make their offering stand out from the crowd.
Our E-Commerce Solutions
Our e-commerce solutions extend the existing functionality of the product database to allow selling online.
Specific functionality can be built to your exact needs but generally can include features such as:
- Shopping Basket
- Allow customers to choose their desired products or services and add them to a virtual shopping basket, building up a total cost for the order.
- Link to Online Payment Provider
- Once customers have chosen all their products, they will be directed to a payment page to enter their credit / debit card details and pay for the order.
- Payment Confirmation from Payment Provider
- The payment provider sends an encrypted message to the website server, indicating whether the payment has been successful, failed completely or it has been flagged up for further checks to prevent fraud.
- My Account
- Allows customers to manage all their dealings with the company, such as email addresses, delivery addresses, newsletter preferences and previous order details.
- Order Tracking
- Customers can track the status of their order from when it is initially placed, to it being picked, despatched, delivered and invoiced. This can link into courier's online tracking systems.
- Stock Control
- Live information is held regarding the quantity of each item held in stock.
- Order Process Management
- Each process in the order management pathway can be managed from the software.
- Product Option Selection
- Linking to Shopping Comparison Sites
- Discounts, Gift Vouchers and Promotions
- Various discount schemes can be added to the shopping basket, altering the final order cost.
Customers can specify the exact form of their chosen product. Examples include
size and material.
Product listings are automatically sent to shopping comparison websites such as Shopzila, Kelkoo and Froogle, to further promote your products.
Taking Payment Online
Many different payment solutions are available, from those offered by familar High Street banks to services such as PayPal or Google Checkout.
A great introduction to taking payments online can be found at
We will work with you to provide the most appropriate solution based on factors such as the projected turnover.
For example PayPal's Website Payments Standard service offers no monthly service fees, but a relatively high percentage charge per transaction, making it ideal for new shops starting out.
In contrast, many High Street banks offer very low transaction charges in return for a fixed monthly service fee.
In the past we have integrated with
- WorldPay(from RBS)
- Secure Payments
- Streamline (from Natwest)
Can we answer your questions?
Please call us now on 08456 410 771 for an informal chat on how a content management solution can benefit your website.